Folks. I concocted this recipe all on my own! Here's the story: yesterday I realized I was very limited in what was around the house for cooking. While I adore going to the grocery store (this makes me weird, yes), I was morally opposed to going to the grocery store on a Friday afternoon for ingredients for one meal, and then turning around and going back for my weekly shopping this morning. Moral opposition is a really hard thing to overcome, you know. So, I rifled, I pillaged, I dug, and I decided that whole wheat pasta, asparagus, and turkey bacon would naturally go together very well, but that I would certainly need some sauce to bind it all together. I have never attempted a homemade sauce before (Harris always makes our homemade red sauce - it's one of his specialties). So, I used the powers of Google to determine what the makings of a basic white sauce would be. I didn't have all the needed ingredients, surprise, surprise, so I improvised, and came up with something I (and the hubby) found pretty tasty! Yay!
What You'll Need:
- Bunch of asparagus
- 1/2 pack turkey bacon
- 3/4 box whole wheat pasta (I had penne, but use whatever, you know)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup cheese (Parmesan is probably the best option, but I had extra sharp cheddar, and it worked fine!)
- 2 cups milk (I used skim - you could also use whole milk, heavy cream, so on and so forth)
- salt & pepper, to taste
What You'll Do:
- Snap ends off asparagus, and blanch in boiling, salted water for 3 minutes. Drain, rinse with cool water, and set aside.
- Prepare turkey bacon (I baked mine in the oven, but feel free to fry, microwave, what have you). Chop turkey bacon into small-ish pieces
- Prepare pasta according to package directions. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter.
- Saute garlic in butter for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in flour and milk. Stir continuously until well incorporated.
- Add in cheese. Continue stirring.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add pasta, asparagus, and turkey bacon to sauce.
- Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment