Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Hump Day Musings

I somehow find myself being surprised that today is Wednesday, which is, in itself, surprising. Monday was a terribly long day, and even longer feeling. I felt like the Ligons managed to cram about 3 days worth of hours into that one little Monday. Poor hubs had to work Sunday night, got off at 5am, had his final exam at 9am, got home just before noontime, and had to be back at work at 5pm. I am flabbergasted at his ability to not turn into a five year old in those situations (ahem, like yours truly), but he was just an absolute trooper. My Monday was far less involved, but somehow just felt incredibly long. Obviously you can see why I am confused about my surprise to find myself at Wednesday.

After that rather winded introduction, I'd like to discuss some (un)important things that have been on my mind lately:

First up, oatmeal. I have a fickle relationship with oatmeal. I rarely find myself in the mood for oatmeal. Sometimes I find myself disgusted by the texture. Then I start leaning in the other direction - "ooh but this oatmeal has so much fiber, and so much protein, and so few calories!". And, then, after that initial lean, I am all in. I am eating oatmeal every single darn day, and dreaming about eating it for every single darn meal. I never know how long my fickle love for oatmeal will last, but it always rears its head. Usually, however, my love for oatmeal surfaces in the cooler days of autumn, or the cold days of winter. I am surprised to find that I am having my love affair with oatmeal in the throes of summer. Granted, we do keep our house about the temperature of the arctic while we sleep, and, since one of us is sleeping for about 16-17 hours out of the day, it is usually pretty cold in here. Obviously that is my defense, because I need to defend my summer oatmeal eating to you.

Second up, also related to oatmeal. I am seriously considering writing a strongly worded letter to the Quaker Oats company. It drives me b-a-n-a-n-a-s (you'll see the pun here in just a minute) that I can only buy the BANANA BREAD oatmeal in a variety pack. Banana Bread, in my humble opinion, is really the only oatmeal worth it's sauce. So I always buy the variety pack (after scouring the shelves for perhaps a whole box of the good stuff, mind you), and I am always so angry at Quaker Oats for only giving me two measly packages of Banana Bread (along with 2 packages of Cinnamon - not my fav - and like 4 packages of Maple Brown Sugar - a fine alternative, but so lacking compared to the real oatmeal gold). I savor those Banana Bread packets like, well I have no appropriate analogy this early in the morning, but savoring is happening, let me tell you. I have to temper myself and not let myself eat the two packets back to back because then I will have nothing to look forward to in that little box. It is a silly, tragic game I play with myself. I googled, for the hell of it, "whole box of banana bread oatmeal", and found, on Amazon (which is my favorite thing ever sometimes) a 4-box set (8 packs each) of all Banana Bread! It was like $26 + shipping, and I am debating ordering it for reals. I have only talked myself out thus far because I am not sure how long this love affair will last, but it keeps for awhile, right?

Finally, let's discuss Pretty Little Liars. I freely admit now that I watch this gem of ABC Family programming. Thank you, Nat the Fat Rat for emboldening me to make this confession. When it comes to ABC Family programming (which I really love, mind you), I have been guilty in the past of saying things like "oh yeah, I watch that occasionally, my little sisters watch it, and, you know, I wanted to make sure they weren't watching anything too bad for them" (thanks for the made-up alibi Kay & Moe!). I was ashamed to admit I was a 27-year old grown up watching a show about teenage girls. Hi, my name is Courtney, and I am addicted to teen dramas and YA literature. Phew, it felt so good to get that off my chest. I was able to freely admit it yesterday, when my coworker friend (ahem you know who you are) asked, "Did you watch the Bachelor/Bachelorette/whichever-one-is-actually-airing-right-now-because-I-obviously-don't-watch-it-and-don't-care last night?" to which I responded, "I don't watch silly things like the Bachelor/Bachelorette, I watch silly things like Pretty Little Liars". I felt emboldened (word of the day, apparently) to tell him this because, well clearly he is a he watching nonsense geared at women, so I felt okay being an adult watching nonsense geared at teenagers. Apples to apples, yes? Much like oatmeal, I have a love-hate relationship with PLL (okay, pretty much all love, but it drives me b-a-n-a-n-a-s every week! (isn't this whole post tying in so wonderfully right now)). Dear I. Marlene King, just answer my questions! Tell me, is Ali alive? Who is A? Who is Red Coat? Why do you make me totally root for a high school teacher's relationship with his student? Why do I have such a girl crush on both Aria and Spencer (also, for the record, I am so obviously a Spencer). You spiral me into a Pandora's Box of questions, not unbeknownst to me (I did watch Lost, after all), and I keep running back to you for more! For the love of all that is holy, I hope you are not teasing me with promises for the midseasons finale!

There you have it, lucky readers. Happy Hump Day to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs