Friday, June 14, 2013

From Our Kitchen: Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Zucchini Boats

We love the Mexican food in this house! Well, the Mexican food, and the Thai food, and the Indian food, and the Pizza food...well, you get it. At any rate, we really do love the Mexican food, and I have been on a mission for veggies, veggies, veggies in our lives, so when I stumbled upon this here recipe, I pinned away and mentally told myself to remember put the ingredients on my grocery list (spoiler alert: I remembered!). As always, I made some modifications (mostly in the form of being toooooootally lazy and not making my own enchilada sauce). This was so yummy, like ridiculously yummy, especially if you are like me and absolutely adore zucchini...you do, don't you? Okay, good! I apologize in advance - things were happening so quickly, I failed in some of my picture taking, and it smelled so good when I took it out of the oven, I totally forgot to take a final pic. Trust me, though, it turned out pretty and oh so yummy!

What You'll Need:

  • 4 medium zucchini
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1/2 yellow onion
  • 3 cloves garlic (or two big heaping spoonfuls if, like yours truly, you buy the jarred garlic)
  • 3 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (I like to cook mine in the crockpot and then shred)
  • 1 tsp. cumin
  • 1 tsp. chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 3 tbsp chicken broth
  • 1 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1 can enchilada sauce
  • shredded cheese
  • salt and pepper, to taste
What You'll Do:

  1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees, and spray a 9x13 pan with Pam. Begin boiling a large pot of water.
  2. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise. Using a scooper, melon baller, or small spoon, scoop out the flesh to about 1/4 inch thick.


  3. Chop the scooped flesh, and set aside.
  4. Drop zucchini in boiling water. Blanch for 1-2 minutes, and remove from water. Set aside.

  5. In a large pan, heat oil. Add onion and garlic. Cook until onion is translucent.
  6. Add zucchini, salt and pepper. Cook about 4 minutes.
  7. Add spices, broth, and tomato paste. Cook another 3 minutes.
  8. Add cooked, shredded chicken. Cook 3 minutes.
  9. Place 1/4 cup enchilada sauce in bottom of casserole dish.
  10. Fill each zucchini boat with chicken mixture. Place in casserole dish.

  11. Top each boat with enchilada sauce and shredded cheese.
  12. Bake for 25 minutes.













No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs