Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Taking Care of Lucy

Well, as someone who officially works from home 100% of the time nowadays, and does not have to travel, and writes for the livelihood of their family, I have been complete rubbish at actually writing on the blog! Since my last update, things have been hectic and a little bit crazy in the old Ligon household.

You might remember me mentioning the Lucy-pup having a corneal ulcer in my last post. Well, the morning after writing that post, we had a recheck with our regular vet. Dr. C took one look at Lucy's eye and said that she was going to go give an animal ophthalmologist a call. The ophthalmologist wanted us to bring her in right away, so off we went to the eye doctor. Upon examining Lucy's eye with special opthalmology equipment, it was determined that the original ulcer had gotten infected and had eaten away 99% of Lucy's cornea (where the ulcer was located). The doc said that while this condition can be treated medically, given Lucy's aversion to eye drops (which he couldn't blame her for because he said she was in a lot of pain..very sad face), and the fact that there was such a microscopic level of cornea remaining, surgery would be the best option. The surgery would create a corneal graft (taking tissue from her conjunctiva and placing it over the ulcer), which would, obviously close help heal the ulcer, as well as bring blood supply to the area, meaning we could give her both oral medication and eye drops. Long story short, we had surgery the next day and have spent the past two weeks in and out of the ER, vet's office, and opthalmology office - hence my absence. Fortunately, though, our little pup is healing very well! We had a 2-week recheck earlier today, and we are definitely up on the upward trend of things! Needless to say, it was a very stressful and scary time for us with her, and we hated seeing her in pain. Luckily, we pulled through well, are no longer functioning in a sleep-deprived stupor, and Lucy's spirits are wonderful!

Other than the Lucy saga, everything else has been going relatively smoothly! The new career-situation has been more wonderful than I could have imagined! It is so nice to have complete control over my schedule, time, so on and so forth! As I told Lynda (my old boss/friend, who is now just a dear friend!), if I needed one more reason to be grateful for this opportunity, I got it in Lucy's surgery - with my old job, I was supposed to be in San Diego the week everything went down, and would, of course, be facing the pressures of customers and travel and all of that. This move has been more of a blessing than I ever could have realized, and I am so thankful for that. In addition to getting to write loads of fun things, I am also taking on some editorial management of certain pieces, which has been great for that organizational piece of my brain / personality!

Harris is still working incredibly hard, but, thankfully, things seem to have calmed down to a dull roar, for the moment, at least! We have really worked as such a team the past couple weeks, and I am so thankful for all of his support and effort on top of everything he has to do at work. Totally gushing, but I am okay with that :)

I can't believe our one-year anniversary is in 11 days! It is crazy to think that a year has already flown by, but it has been a really, really great year, and I am so lucky to have that man by  my side every day. We are going to postpone any potential big anniversary plans until we have Lu at 100%, but I am just excited to celebrate our first year as husband and wife!

Now, it is time for me to go finish up dinner (we're having Thai Red Curry Lentils!) before the hubs gets home!

1 comment:

  1. :-( I hate that Lucy has gone through SO MUCH lately. But I'm really glad she's doing much better (and that you guys aren't totally sleep deprived anymore)! I'm so glad the new gig is working out for you! You're right--those things come as a complete blessing and we don't even realize we need them until all of a sudden we're knee deep in something and think "holy cow, I'd be out of the state right now." <3

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs