Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Grey Mornings

Today is not a pretty fall day, per say. It is grey and dreary outside, the wind is blowing, and it definitely looks like rain is imminent. But is also perfectly crisp and lovely and so very fall-like that I can't help but love the outside world this morning.

Harris was off last night for the first time in about 2 weeks. Since he didn't come home at 5am and take Lucy outside and then feed her at 6 (you know because he made himself stay up until about 2am and then go to bed as to not completely get off his schedule), I was on duty for Lucy's 6am wake up and feeding time this morning. Our lives are so weird. Fortunately because of the aforementioned grey ugliness, Lucy actually slept until about 6:45 before she began worming her way from under the covers and giving pitiful little whimpers. Usually I am a total grouch if she tries to wake me up one minute before 7am (I much prefer being woken up at 7:30, mind you), but I slept so absolutely wonderfully last night (a combination of the hubby being home and melatonin, I am sure), that I grabbed the little pup and snuggled her close, and then promptly got out of bed to feed her, and go on our morning walk.

It looked chilly outside, so I grabbed a North Face out of the hall closet (oh, North Face, how happy am I that it is time for you again with all of your cuddly warmth), and Lucy and I set out to see what the world felt like this morning. I was pleasantly surprised that it was definitely chilly enough for a North Face this morning (I am known to think any and all jackets are needed when in fact they are not), and the wind was blowing a pretty good bit. I was ready for a good mile long walk with the pup, stopping to inspect all trees, spots of grass, and, of course, bits of trash along the way. Unfortunately, Lucy was not having it this morning. She is very temperamental when it comes to the weather - she hates rain, she apparently hates wind as well (mind you, she did just have her last "summer cut" yesterday, so she was probably cold - I should have grabbed her sweater, darn), and she is very sure of what she wants to do on any given day. Our lives just get weirder, I swear. So, we set off for our walk. She sniffed and was coaxed into walking for about 1/2 a block or so, did her business, and promptly started trotting home. A girl who knows what she wants. I can dig it. I made it home to a dark house, that I am still keeping dark in order to really enjoy the full benefits of this ugly, but glorious fall morning, made a cup of caramel hot chocolate, and am wrapped up with a blanket and a sleeping pup as I write this.

A glorious morning, indeed.

1 comment:

  1. oh, friend that sounds wonderful. It's quite yucky here this morning, too. It's making me want to stay in bed all day and read. I'm glad Harris was able to be home last night--I know how nice it is to have that warm body in bed next to you when it's usually not there :) love you.

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs