Saturday, May 18, 2013

Yearly Rant About the DMV

So, everyone rants about the DMV, right? Well, most people, I feel, do not have to visit this little piece of hell on Earth every year. Luckily for yours truly, I have moved 8 (yes, eight) times since graduating from college 5 years ago. Within those 8 moves, I have lived in 6 states, which means, yep, lots of new drivers licenses, registrations, etc. When we moved to Virginia at the end of last year, obviously we knew that we would be getting married in less than 6 months, so I just decided that, rather than having a twice in one year visit, I would just wait until after the wedding to get my Virginia license and change my name on my license all in one fail swoop. Well, for those of you who have never changed your name, before you can get a new drivers license, you must first clear it with the US Government by getting a new social security card in your new name. Done! I am officially US Government approved Courtney Ligon material. Courtney - 1 , Government - 0.

So, imagine my surprise, when I headed to the DMV this morning, old license, marriage certificate, passport, and new social security card in tow, to wait in line, and then be told that I would have to get my marriage certificate translated from Spanish to English! What? How can this be? Uncle Sam had no problem with Spanish, but you are telling me that the great state (commonwealth) of Virginia does? Inconceivable!

DMV - 1, Courtney - 0.

Now, do any of you kind folk know how I go about getting this certificate translated?


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs